The HRD Ministry introduced the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARRIA) yesterday which will rank educational institutions as per their innovation output based on global parameters.
“India lacks innovation. It is a challenge for us to innovate, innovation will make our country prosper. New thinking must be encouraged and every college must have an innovation cell,” said Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar while making the announcement.
“Named after former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee, ARIIA will rank educational institutions for innovation output based on all major indicators and parameters used globally,” he added.
Javadekar made the announcement at the inauguration of an innovation cell at the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) in New Delhi.
Dr Abhay Jere, the Chief Innovation Officer (CIO), Ministry of HRD, tweeted that this was the “First of its kind attempt to rank Indian education institutions on Innovation achievements”.
More about Atal Ranking (ARIIA)
- All recognised Indian education institutions are eligible to participate in the ARIIA ranking
- The methodology to calculate ARIIA metrics considers all major parameters/indicators used globally to rank educational institutions for innovation output
- ARIIA also measures some parameters which are India-specific considering the current scenario and status of higher education in India
- The ARIIA parameters are primarily organised in five broad heads which are further elaborated into suitable sub-heads
- Each of the five main parameters has a certain weightage assigned to it; the sub-heads also have appropriate weight distribution
- The institutions will be rank-ordered based on scores
- The overall score can take a maximum value of 100
Measure to ensure transparency in Atal Ranking (ARIIA)
To ensure transparency in the ranking system, an attempt is also made to identify the relevant data needed to suitably measure the performance score under each sub-head.
The emphasis here is on identifying data that the institution can easily provide or is easy to obtain from third-party sources and easily verifiable, wherever verification is needed. The overall score is computed based on the weights allotted to each head
Atal Ranking to be based on five main parameters:
- Budget expenses and revenue generated through innovation and entrepreneurship: 20 weightage
- Facilitating access to advance centres/facilities and entrepreneurial support system: 10 weightage
- Idea to entrepreneurship: 54 weightage
- Development of innovation ecosystems supported through teaching and learning: 10 weightage
- Best innovative solutions developed in-house for improving governance of your institution: 6 weightage